I’m sure you’ve heard before that you can reduce stress with meditation. What comes to your mind when you think of the word meditation?
You may have seen comedy shows or skits where someone is practicing meditation. The person was probably sitting on the floor cross legged, eggs closed and “ohm”ing.
A second person was near by making snide remarks or imitating them. This is one of the reasons why many people used to look upon meditation as being funny, ridiculous or just plain odd. Thinking this could reduce stress was unthought of.
Over the years we have learned that mediation offers a lot of benefits. It’s commonly used to help us reduce stress, and live longer, happier healthier lives.
How does meditation help us reduce stress?
- It helps focus the mind on something that is deeply and spiritually rooted.
- By focusing on one thing you are forced to forget the stressors in your life
- You filter out sights and sounds that my stress you when you close your eyes and sit in a quiet room
- Chemicals present in your body actually change making you more relaxed and peaceful
- Meditation helps repair physical and mental damage caused by stress
The relaxing benefits from above are only the short term benefits. You are relaxed during and after mediating by filtering out stress that you have already experienced.
The REAL benefit of meditation is the long term affect.
When you make mediation part of your daily routine it can actually balance the levels of hormones and other stress related chemicals on a day-to-day basis – even when you’re not meditating. The result is that you will remain more peaceful and less stressed during your long day. Therefore to reduce stress before it starts, you’ll want to set aside a time each day to meditate.
Unlike yoga, meditation requires no special physical skills. Although it does require mental skills. Here’s how to get started …
- Find a quiet room and sit in a comfortable position. Any position that makes you feel comfortable where you can relax.
- Close your eyes and begin to relax your muscles. Focus on each muscle – tense it a little, then let it relax – mentally saying “relax”. You can either begin at your feet and end at your head or vice-versa.
- Take deep breaths in and out while you repeat your mantra. Your mantra can be anything that you choose “I am happy, healthy and wealthy” “Ohmmm” or just repeating the number one. If you are religious you can chant a prayer or something else related to your beliefs.
- When your mind begins to wander (it will – and it’s normal) just refocus on your mantra
To gain all the benefits and reduce stress you’ll want each meditation session to last 15 to 20 minutes.
Regularly practicing mediation trains your mind and your body to be more relaxed, peaceful and focused. You’ll reduce stress and gain mental focus.
Awakening Prologue by Centerpointe is a unique program using Binural Beats that allows you to synchronize your brainwaves to achieve a desired state. It’s TRULY Amazing! Just pop in a CD, put on your headphones and you’ll reach a Deep Meditation state very quickly while you reduce stress and gain energy.